Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

vinaykgs
Hi all,

Please share your photo album links and trek writeups/reviews in the below link.

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Pritish N
For this wonderful trek, here are few pics to cherish those memories -
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9yZNMh-yllIWFdFdTBnVzlMdFU&usp=sharing

Will share the write up soon.

Cheers
Pritish

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Ankita Hegde

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Pritish N
For the wonderful trek, sharing few pics to cherish the memories.
Link -> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9yZNMh-yllIWFdFdTBnVzlMdFU&usp=sharing

Regards,
Pritish

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Varun Mylaraiah

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Arun Kumar Karanth
Hi Vinay,

Here is the lnk to my Picasa/google+ album:

https://plus.google.com/photos/112192074905530348575/albums/5948425920377664689?authkey=CIz_t9m5zPvARg

Let me know in case u face issue in accessing the link.

Thanks for organizing the trek, It was a great experience.

Thanks,
Arun Karanth

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Sandeep

Please find the link of the Picture. Video will be added in this link soon.

https://plus.google.com/photos/100826729555331959599/albums/5948666045732350273?authkey=COqPkZnPleL9Fw

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Naveen
It was a wonderful trek. The whole group was very jovial and I enjoyed trekking with you guys. Thanks to all and special thanks to Vinay for organizing :P

Few pics that I took ..
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/110229422390738222904/albums/5949334796124006289

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Vijaya Raghava
The trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta and Kemmangundi was conducted by BAsc on the 16th and 17th november 2013. The gathering point was Shantala silk house, near Majestic, on 15th November. After reaching there, I saw that apart from our team, one more team had gathered there and were going to Kodachadri. Met with some of the team members while waiting for the bus. The other team left around 10 15 pm while we were supposed to leave at 10 30 pm. However, our bus arrived late and we started at 11 30 pm. Later, there was a problem with the radiator in the bus and we had to halt for close to 45 minutes for the radiator to cool down. Meanwhile, I had a feeling that the trip would turn out to be fun as such unplanned things would add new twists to the story.

We continued the journey after the radiator cooled down and reached Chikmagalur on Satuday at around 6:30 am. We took a while to get done with the morning rituals, breakfast and food packing. Then we continued our journey to find a place called Sarpadhaari, the start point of our trek to Mullayangiri, and reached the spot by 9:30 am. It was 10 am by the time we started the trek. We had asked the bus driver to park down at Baba Budayangiri. It was bright and mildly sunny at the start of the trek. The weather eased up as we started climbing. We reached Mulayangiri summit after a 2 hour trek. After enjoying the view from the summit, we started trek towards Baba Budayanagiri. The view along the trek was good. By evening, we reached close to Manikyadhara. The trekking trails had disappeared by then and we weren't sure how to go ahead. We found a patch which had abundant trees and a stream flowing through it. We passed through that patch, which was considerably cooler than surroundings as the trees provided shade. It was a nice experience. I thought that if I was to go by that experience then the trek the next day, which was supposed to go through Shola forests, would be thrilling. There are shops near Manikyadhara. We had some snacks and tried contacting the bus driver. The mobile network there wasn't realiable. When we were able to contact the bus driver and asked him to come to Manikyadhara, he said he wouldn't be able to come as the bus was underpowered. It started raining suddenly. So, plans to walk down to Baba Budayangiri had to be dropped. We hired a Mahindra Jeep to go to Baba Budayangiri and 18+driver had crammed into the jeep!!! Halfway through, we found that our bus driver was coming towards us. So, we got down from the jeep. It was somewhere between Manikhyadhara and Baba Budayangiri. There was a pond near by. We decided to camp there for the night(guys, was that place Gaalikere??). It was very foggy and the recent rain resulted in the sudden fall of mercury levels. Also the wind speeds had picked up. We split the team to gather firewood and erect the tents. While erecting the tents, there was a brief spell of rain. We took cover under a tarpaulin canvas. The firewood was also covered under the canvas. After the rain receded, we went out to continue with the tent work. Rain would play hide and seek with us for a few more times while the tent work was underway. It was a fun experience. After the tents were done, we had a campfire. Now, Vinay, the organizer, had planned this through. We had a introduction of the team members at the campfire. Campfires are all always fun. After that, we had dinner and slipped into tents for rest.

Sunday, we woke up to a heavy mist cover; it was still windy and chilly. I took a strolled around to find Sun, had a rejuvenating walk and walked back to the campsite. We packed the tents and luggage and headed to the bus. Meanwhile, some of the folks figured out that the water in the pond was warm and spent some time in it. By the time we wanted to start the sunday leg of the trip, the visibility hadn't improved and the thought was that the conditions wouldn't improve because of an ongoing cyclone. So, it was decided to skip visiting Kemmanagundi and go to Belur and Halebeedu. I could recollect that the temples were famous for their architectural beauty.

Things didn't look up till noon when we reached Belur Chennakeshava temple. I did not want to enter the temple as I hadn't bathed that day. I took a walk around in the small temple town and found a place to take bath and duly took bath. Then I entered the temple, but could not find the team. I had a darshan of
the lord and went out to find where the team was. Meanwhile, I overheard one of the temple guides explaining that the heavy stone pillar that I was looking at could be rotated around it own axis. This aroused my interest and started to listen to him. I would suggest you to go around the temple first and then come back and hire a guide. When you listen to the guide's version, you would realize that there is so much more to the structure than you could figure out by yourself. I was filled with joy and pride after the experience.

Got back into the bus and after a snack break reached Bangalore by sunday night. I got down at Navrang while the team headed towards Majestic.

My first trekking with BAsc has turned out to be a memorable event; thanks to Vinay and and all the folks for making it happen. I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience and hope all the members who participated also had a good time. Please invite me to your future activities if you can put up with me :)

Thanks
Vijay

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Shruthi Venugopal
      This trek is a gift from the heavens above, after months of trying and failing to register for a trek with BASC. All this adds to the fun memories I have taken back with me after this trek. :) Almost a week long’s wait for the trek was definitely the most challenging part of the trek I would say  :P  My buddies Jahnavi ,Roopa and Jahnavi’s colleague Rashmi agreed for the trek and seeing all our names in the confirmed list was such a happy moment. Though Jahnavi and I have been friends for more than five years, this was our first trip together and also this trek has been my first two day trek which I swore to myself that I would do it this year, so this trek has been all the more special. Thanks Vinay :)  And thanks to the rest of the team for making the treknic so amazing :)
          Packing and unpacking on Friday night, didn’t know how time flew, but we still managed to reach on time at majestic in front of Shantala house .Then it was almost an hour’s long wait for the bus to arrive. Ram joining us for the trip was a pleasant surprise, another familiar BASC member apart from Vinay. There were other BASC teams waiting for the buses. We were the last ones to leave. I remember the scene how when all of us boarded the bus for the first time, how everyone just kept to themselves, excitement in the air, but still so composed. It was such a contrast to how we all at the end of this journey had parted. Trying to catch up on sleep which never really happened during the bus journey and somewhere midway our bus had come to a halt because the radiator had overheated. The time spent near the toll gate waiting for the bus to get fixed was a mini introduction round among the team members. Ah! :)  the joy of being around like minded people, all for the love of trekking! :)
          Around 6 on a Saturday morning we reached the town of Chikmagalur. Got refreshed, had hot and tasty breakfast, further down the road packed lunch for the trek and now we were all ready for the trek. Reached the starting point, Sarpadhaari. Vinay addressing the whole  team about the trek. All of us took preventive measures against  leech attacks, luckily none of us encountered it. The day was warm and sunny,perfect for a trek. There was another team,BMC also taking the same route. As the hike up the mountain started ,the initial moments went in just trying to capture every bit of the view surrounding us and realizing the fact that it was a pretty steep climb. With all the deep breathe exercises being practiced while climbing up, that even a yoga master cannot teach you,to keep up with the team. With frequent breaks and Gatorade to the rescue, we managed to climb this mountain. Every time we thought we had reached the peak, she would elude us by showing another mesmerizing part of the mountain yet to be conquered. And finally enjoying every moment, we reached the Mullayanagiri peak. Spent some time up there, half explored a cave, offered our prayers in the temple on top on the mountain. And our organizer saying,”This is not even 20% of the trek, come on lets go.” we headed to the next phase of our trek. Slight downhill, slight straight path. This is when I really lost track of time and my mind was completely focused on the trek route. And at times when we look back at the path we trekked through, it would take us by surprise, thinking,Wow! we did all that :) As we descended down the mountain, we reached the road and from there like wild animals we crossed the road only to disappear in to the wilderness again. This time we were hiking on the ridge of the mountains, to reach the greener pastures were we had decided to have lunch. Rested and energized for the second part of the trek. The goal was to reach the bsnl tower on Bababudangiri. Uphill,downhill don’t know how many mountains we crossed, turn back and no sight of the place where we had started this journey. And finally we made it to the tower. The happiness on everyone’s face after a successful trek was evident. From there ,there was another 20 mins walk to the entrance of manikyadhara falls,where we could find shops for refreshments.
          While the bus driver was doubtful whether his bus would make  it to the top,we decided to rent a jeep and head towards where he had halted and camp. To our surprise,our bus driver had taken a chance to ride to the top of the mountain,so that we could camp by a pond on top. The initial plan was to camp at Galikere, but we soon dropped it as nature had her own plans for the evening.
         Excited that we would be camping near a pond,out came the tents and the guys had gathered firewood for the evening bonfire intro round.While putting up the tents,it would drizzle in every few mins and like an army drill we would all take shelter under the tarpaulin sheet also trying to keep the firewood dry. Every event of the evening was done with so much enthusiasm by every member of the team,it wouldn’t have occurred to the passer by that we had trekked 12kms through the mountains.
Also a big thanks to Ram,the ladies man,who so courteously offered to take the backpacks on our behalf while trekking all the way, and not to forget our Organizer Vinay too.
          Bonfire moments was filled with leg pulling sessions, acting and singing. Then finally the mat was laid for a community dinner.With the ladies taking their seats in distributing food for the hungry souls. Time was now nearing midnight,all of us given our respective tents,settled in for the night,with still giggles here and there,we managed to survive the chilling night. Some slept well and some waited for the break of dawn. Morning mist so beautiful, no words to explain. Three cheers to the boys as they did all the hard work of removing the tents.We headed to the shops below to have some breakfast and from there we headed back to Chikmagalur town to have brunch.
          Due to the cyclone effect the trek to Kemmanagundi was cancelled and visit to the Belur temple and halebidu was proposed as plan D. At the temple we hired a guide to really put a light on the history surrounding the magnificent temple and the kings and artisans that help build this wonder on stone. A dream project I would say. Time seemed to have slowed down, enjoying a slow paced evening with more snacks and with our very own BASC musicians . We headed from this place. We missed out on Halebidu as we ran out of time according to our bus driver. We stopped by at Kamat restaurant to snack once again. While heading back to Bangalore,the time was spent playing anthakshari of hindi and kannada songs,a unique experience.:) None of us really wanted to head back home,everyone enjoying every bit of it. Finally on request and being the birthday boy, Pritesh did the lungi dance for us using his scarf, and how he did it I leave it to your imagination.
         We met, we conquered, we laughed, and now it was time for us to part. Another memory added to the trek dairies, and not mentioning on how it really ended,for the journey still continues, until we meet again. I wish you all many more Happy treks with fond memories.

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Pritish N
Pinch me… what happened … Its so heavenly beautiful … hmmm

This is just a snapshot description about the awesome scenic place we have been. Also crowned as the highest peak in KA. So, let’s begin the journey from beginning.

All Trekking enthusiasts gathered at Shanthala Silk by 10:30pm. To our surprise, there were already more than 40 guys waiting. So on announcement of Mulayangiri, we 5-6 gathered in a circle while rest, they were for other treks. Slowly, people started showing & circle kept getting bigger. Chit chat on previous treks & their experiences was the theme & soon, we were no more strangers & we didn’t need any formal introduction as well.

Any time after 11pm, our TT arrived. We loaded the stuff (tents, bags) in trunk & boarded the TT. We had to sign disclaimer (indemnity form) that we are responsible for our own cause. &, sure, everyone signed as we know - “We decide our own Destiny”. We were good on track till then but after midnight, TT radiator observed a burst & our destiny was decided by TT at least for short time. But, it gave us a needed break for Rest Room at the toll post. Interesting thing, we were privileged to use restroom facilities as among first users as toll was inaugurated previous day only.

Trucking overnight, we reached Chikmagalur in early morning around 6am. Stopped at a facility to freshen up. Had breakfast at Mayura Hotel & packed food from other place. E’one was wide awake by now, sun was shining, weather was blue, and there was chillness in morning that made ideal for trekking. We trucked few more miles to reach our base location where we had to start the ascend.

After the brief photo-shoot, we started up hill towards Mulayangiri. Say it a warm up or test of endurance, first ascend itself was very steep & challenging for some of us. But, as we progressed, scenery & the breeze made the climb little easy. Blue Sky & Cloud shades was making place more picturesque.  We didn’t let opportunity miss & cameras were out to snap the beauty. From the top, we could see distant view of other hills, grass land around, valley view & snake shaped road. As we reached top, we hunted for the caves as we had heard from previous trekkers about it. Some of us went exploring caves but it had no end. So, after half a KM, we came back but in that distance, we crawled, hopped, dared to Bats & more important; saw the rare & beautiful rock patterns inside cave. And, by the time, we returned, we missed the photo shoot but why disappoint, we still had plenty in the treasure. We climbed further & reached the top – highest peak in KA. WE TAMED THE MOUNTAINS!! It’s an overstatement but many had set their milestone in trekking that day & were feeling proud about it.

After chilling out for some time, we started for Baba Budangiri. Since, other group was also there on that day, we had to maintain the pace to reach other peak first. So, we took the trail by the ridge, climbing one peak after another. To our right, we could see valley/deep slope while left had tall rocks or the slope. Distant mountain ranges & the breeze kept us going without much tiredness. But, way was still long. After rocky terrain, we reached the grasslands & there all stopped. LUNCH FIRST!! We feasted on all kinds of food - packed food from morning, home made food, snacks, bread jam & much more.

Soon after having lunch, we started towards our destination. Someone struck an idea of carrying firewood … hmm.. So guys took dry timber on way & carried. Some used those big sticks as hiking poles. Crossed the second/third & so on peaks. At one point we abandoned those efforts of carrying wood. There were ups & downs but mostly not too steep & was plateaued. We kept an eye on Radio tower from long distance & now, with every step, it was growing bigger. ...Last lap, we did final ascend & reached the Radio tower. We started cheering up guys who reached later than us. We were on schedule. But, that wasn’t our destination so we kept trekking to Baba Budangiri vista point. Weather was already hinting us about its intention & soon after we reached there, it started raining. Best time to have Tea & Pakoda .. So we did.

Fun part was, we cramped ourselves in a jeep (19+) & were going down to reach to our TT. Guys were hanging left, right & back side, & it sparked the TV ad in mind of that “FEVICOL -  Jod aisa, Tode na Toote”. Soon, rain receded & we decided to camp by lake side. Mist started gathering, mercury started dropping & rain was playing its game. So, first we gathered wood for campfire & started setting up tents. In the process of setting tents, it rained few times. And whenever it used to rain, we would all go under the tarpaulin & back…

Tents were up; tent allocation was done & then we lit the campfire with some effort by our FIRE experts. Later we had “Team got Talent” round with everyone’s introduction. Songs, Stories, Hobbies & more!!
By the time, intro round was finished, e’one was so hungry. We took out all food we had, feasted again & kept some for morning. Then, we took consensus for Plan A, B, C. All went to bed in their tents. Creative edge was then when we lit our torches pointing at tent roofs from inside & pic was taken of those illuminated tents.

Day one was over on rocking node!! Good night!!

Next morning.. full misty.. 10-15 ft visibility. We still freshened up, packed bags & got loaded in TT. Before leaving, we packed tents & did some chill water photo shoot, eye lash & hair spikes shoot while capturing gathered mist on it. We started from there & reached our breakfast point. Someone devised plan D by now due to poor weather & cyclone warning. On the way down, we visited coffee estate & now plan E was to visit Belur temple – made it a heritage tour.

Temple visit was worth, as place was so0000 rich in art, sculptures, history & divinity. To make it even better, our guide had so many punch lines to add MASALA flavor & some of essence was – description of LOVE from his thesis as LOVE – Look, Observe, Verify, Enjoy // on other hand, its Loss of Valuable emotion/economy/… etc. Post to that, we tested Belur’ Coconut, Chiwada/Chat and Masala Tomato while some of us began their journey on music instrument with some lessons taken from a local Guru. Next stop had happened to be at Kamath for evening refreshment & we started for Bangalore. Soon, Antakshari started & entire bus was singing old taranas, new songs, classical melodies, peppy numbers, rock & even spiritual ones too. Never realized, we reached Bangalore & we bid farewell to all the newly became friends at Majestic & carried all those cherish able memories with us!!

Thanks all to make this such a memorable trek. Hope to cross path again!! Enjoy!!

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Jahnavi
As I was about to leave for office on a Tuesday morning, I got a call from my friend Shruthi - "2 day trek in Chikmagalur with Bangalore Ascenders" , she announces excitedly; "Lets go?" And the rest of the week was spent in excitement and eagerness.

We left Bangalore on Friday night in a minibus- 18 enthusiastic ascenders , led by our organizer Vinay.
Next morning we reached Chikmagalur at 6.30 am, freshened up, had breakfast and started off our trek up the Mullayangiri peak at around 9.30. Our goal for the day was Mullayangiri to Bababudangiri!
After climbing up the steep hill for what seemed like 3 hours, we learned that it had been only half an hour since we had started the trek and that we had covered only 1km!!
For those of us who take the lift in office, reluctant to climb the stairs, I'm sure this part of the climb is definitely going to make you take the stairs the next time!
We also came across a few caves in the initial part of the hilly terrain.

Once we got into the flow of trekking uphill, very soon we had conquered the highest peak in Karnataka, elevated at 6,330ft. After visiting the Shiva temple at the peak, and taking His blessings, we continued trekking towards Baba Budangiri. The weather was pleasant and, to our luck, there were no leaches at all!
We stopped over at a grassland at around 2 pm to fill our stomachs with fuel for the remaining part of the trek.We resumed our trek across Baba Budangiri once our stomachs were full, and around 5 pm we had covered 12kms!!! All of us were proud of this achievement , especially we first-timers.

We then proceeded towards a small lake on Baba Budangiri where we had planned to halt for the night. As we started pitching up our tents, it started raining. And we kept switching our tasks between pitching up the tents and saving ourselves, and the wood we had collected for the campfire, from the rain.
After a very exciting and fun-filled introduction session around the campfire, we had our dinner and the 18 hikers proceeded to rest in our tents.

The next day, we were were supposed to visit Kemmengundi, Z-point and a couple of waterfalls;but the atmosphere was very foggy and inappropriate for any further visits in Chikmagalur. Hence we decided to leave Chikmagalur and visit Belur and Halebidu.

We reached Belur around noon and hired a guide to show us around the beautiful Hoyasala temple built by King Vishnuwardhana in 1117 CE. Our guide not only explained to us the story and significance of the beautiful carvings and architecture of the temple, but also made his explanations so humorous that one hour of what could have been a boring history lecture turned out to be a rib-tickling yet gainful tour around the marvelous temple.After taking some good photos for memory and spending quality time we left the temple at around 4pm.
However, our driver thought it was too late to go to Halebidu and so we headed back to Bangalore.
Playing antakshari in the bus and enjoying ourselves, we reached Bangalore, at around 10pm, with some of the best moments for memory. The best trek-nic I have ever been part of!!

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Shruthi Venugopal

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Roopashri
This was the first long trek in a hilly terrain for me and it turned out to be a cool experience with a good bunch of people along with us. When Vinay organised this trek we[Shru,Jhanavi,Rashmi & myself] were sceptical of making it to the list until the end , but when we did get shortlisted for the trek it was such a feel good factor. Extremely excited but still doubtful of how it would go about , we started of our journey on 15th night.After having reached the starting point of trekking was wondering if I would really be able to make it to the peak considering the path was steep but all thanks to the team that was so supportive such that not only was the trek successful but also turned out to be memorable.The entire trek starting from sarpadhari to the tower was tiring and equally rejuvenating.Not to forget crossing the "ridge" was the most horrible part of the entire trek. Returning from the trek to the camping site in the local jeep was a real fun time. Camping near the lake was my first experience and turned out to be a good one too.If I were to summarize I could say that it was an excellent time for me and my friends trekking to the highest peak with a great team ,definitely could not have asked for better.
-Thanks to all for making it happen.
Roopashri K S

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Roopashri

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

Naveen
I thought I was the one who had taken the least number of pics.. After checking your pics, I realized I was wrong :P

On 25 November 2013 14:06, Naveen [via Bangalore ASCENDers] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thought I was the one who had taken the least number of pics.. After checking your pics, I realized I was wrong :P

To start a new topic under Trekking, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bangalore ASCENDers, click here.
NAML

Roopashri K S

Re: Trek to Mullayanagiri, Dattapeeta, Kemmangundi Nov 16th &17th 2013

vinaykgs

Hey guys.. There is a black-color torch in my bag (which is not mine). The torch has a compass under it.. Not sure how it got into my bag. Ping me if the torch is yours.